Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Macworld Expo 2007 quick recap

So many problems...

The good news is that I got into Macworld Expo and I got into the keynote and watched it live, in-person. The bad news is that I could not get a signal on my cell phone. So I was unable to live-blog the keynote for The Apple Blog. It also meant I couldn't call anyone all day. Today I also had no signal, so I turned my phone off since it was basically a rock (with a camera) in my pocket. When I turned it on again, just for kicks, guess what? Signal! Five bars! Gee, thanks, T-Mobile.

And why didn't I blog anything yesterday when there is free wireless Internet in the Media Center? Oh, Blogger.com was down for maintenance. Great timing, Blogger!

This year I'm here for three days instead of one and I had planned on attending a number of conference sessions. So I got some more bad news today: they aren't allowing media into any of the conferences this year. Hey, IDG, thanks for telling me after I got turned away at the door I waited in line at for 30 minutes! Basically, nearly all the information that IDG e-mailed me in advance about Macworld Expo was WRONG. I'm making the best of it, though, and there's still plenty of awesomeness to not complain about.

I'll post a detailed review of this week sometime after I get back, so expect it by February :)

Here's my brief notes:

  • TV: Call me in x years when I have a flat-panel, widescreen TV that accepts multiple HDMI inputs
  • iPhone: Absolutely, freakin' awesome. Like the original iPod, I won't be able to afford one for at least a year or two after its launch.
  • Apple booth: incredibly boring. They're showing iLife '06 and the Sept. '06 iPod lineup.
  • Adobe: Applause-worthy, generous
  • Elgato after-party: Nice people, delicious food (especially for meat-eaters)
  • Roxio: Mmm, show specials
Celebrity sightings include John Gruber, Aaron Adams, Leo Laporte, Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht

In the category of things-that-probably-shouldn't-have-worked-but-miraculously-did, I chatted with Gene Steinberg via Skype on Tuesday evening and an edited version of our discussion will be included in this Thursday's episode of The Tech Night Owl LIVE.

And now to redeem my $20 Media Lunch Voucher. You might think that's a lot for lunch, but remember, this is in a convention center, where apples cost $1.50 and a sandwich costs $8.50.

No comments: