Sunday, May 01, 2005

The first weekend of performances of "Man of La Mancha" are over, so I finally have a few free minutes to post. I realize I haven't really blogged at all about the musical for the last two months, but you never really know exactly how things are going to turn out until they've actually happened. Everything came together for our opening night. We had a huge crowd that was extremely responsive and they really seemed to enjoy it. Most of the cast shows up outside the entrance to greet the exiting crowd and a few of them had some very kind words to say to me, which definitely makes all the long nights and days worthwhile. A few specific notes:

  • The director told all the male actors not to shave their faces or get a haircut. I got a reprieve from the facial hair requirement, which turned out to be very good, since I had to make a couple of on-camera TV appearances to promote Capture the Moment: The Pulitzer Prize Photographs (more on that in another post). But I have not gotten a haircut for nearly three months, which I think is the longest I've ever gone. Thus, my hair is probably the longest it's ever been. And by longest, I mean biggest. Of course, I wear a hat or a wig for 99.9 percent of the show.

  • Following "Harvey" and "The Curious Savage," this is now my third play in a row about 'crazy' and/or 'mad' people. I guess it's my 'Crazy' trilogy. As one of the characters in "La Mancha" says, "Why are you poets so obsessed with madness?" Why, indeed. On the plus side, I think it's the best of those three shows.

  • Due to contractual obligations, no recording of any kind is allowed. I do have some rehearsal footage, however. If/How/When I make that available is still to be determined...

We have a 10 a.m. special matinee performance this Tuesday followed by Friday & Saturday night shows and the final Sunday matinee performance. Tickets

No comments: