Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Radio Trivia

This morning on 99.3 KJOY ("Light rock and less talk!") host Rob Kacey mentioned that Superman Returns was premiering today and promised two tickets to the movie (along with the complete third season of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman on DVD) to the first caller who could answer the following question: Which Cheers alum appeared in 1978's Superman: The Movie?

Although I wasn't the first to call in, I was the first to answer correctly (the first two callers guessed Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson), winning myself not only the prizes, but the chance to hear my voice on the radio in an unprepared way (wasn't impressed). I refrained from geekily-informing him that John also appeared in Superman II in a similar capacity.

When I picked up the prizes, I noticed on the free passes the following restrictions.

Good Only:

  • at Stockton, Turlock or Modesto, Sonora, Jackson
    (OK, that rules out any IMAX showings. And what's with the 'or' placed after Turlock? Are they indicating they'd prefer you use the passes in Stockton or Turlock and not the others?)
  • Monday-Thursday
    (OK, no Friday-Sunday showings. No big deal, it opens on Wednesday and I'd planned on seeing it on Thursday)
  • Beginning July 10, 2006
    (OK, so ... wait, what?! I have to wait 12 days to use these passes?!)
  • Weekends & Holidays Excluded
    (Um, weekends have already been excluded. So this limitation only means I can't use the passes on Labor Day ... September 4!
  • Ticket must be redeemed while the film is still playing (Gee, thanks! I guess that rules out September 5!)
I guess until July 10 I'll be watching my DVDs of Lois & Clark: The Complete Third Season (Hubba-hubba).

Oh, there's one free admission ticket in the DVD box. It has a $10.50 maximum value (which is the regular cost of a ticket at the Dublin theater).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't notice ole Norm until now??? Wha'???? Was it that he was so skinny?

And the bursting Hoover Dam sequence didn't look fake until now? Come on! And on that note, did the Batwing sequence in the first "Batman" ever look that convincing?

But anywho...congrats on winning those tickets. And if you haven't caught it yet, catch the two hour "Look up in the Sky, It's Superman" on A&E. I found it very interesting....now I'm convinced that Superman is a fascist! ha ha.

Eddie Hargreaves said...

I may have vaguely remembered Norm being in the first movie, but I hadn't watched the sequel in a long time and definitely didn't notice him there. (Can you name the other 1980 film in which he appears briefly? Hint: It also has music by John Williams)

The Batwing sequence in 1989's Batman did look convincing when I first saw the film in the theater. But it now ranks near the dam sequence in believability (no slow-motion water, though).

I finally managed to record an airing of A&E's two-hour documentary, which was very interesting. There were a few things I'd never even heard of, much less seen. I suspect it'll be on the Superman Returns DVD.

And I've still five more days until I can use those tickets...

Anonymous said...

Duh....."Empire Strikes Back"

Sheesh....just kidding.

I knew a lot of the "Superman" stuff, since my Dad was a huge fan of the "Superman" TV series (you know about the upcoming George Reeves biopic with Ben Affleck, right?) and of Krypto, Comet, etc. He was young, what can I say. I didn't know that they once thought Superman was fascist. And I definitely had never heard of the musical.

Stockard Channing's auditions for Lois were a riot. She sounded exactly like Rizzo from "Grease." She's normally a good actress, too.

We still haven't seen "Superman Returns"...will try to catch it and "Dead Man's Chest" this weekend or week...despite polar opposite critical reviews of "Pirates." Not sure what to think.