Wednesday, January 18, 2006

New Coke ads for 2006

Several of the Coke Classic commercials are vignettes set to music.
...
One is an upclose look at Coke poured over ice cream. The words flash up: "You had a good run, root beer."
What this article doesn't note (and I have not been able to find any note of it anywhere via Google) is that the music used in this commercial is a cover of Gavin Friday's "The Slider" from his 1996 album Shag Tobacco. I saw the commercial at Regal Cinemas and recognized it so fast it was scary. I'm still bitter that I was not old enough to see him at Berbati's Pan back then.

Edit: I was wrong! Thanks to some cordial and not-so-cordial commenters (thanks for raising the level of discourse on the Internet), I've learned that the song in the ad is the original version of The Slider by the Marc Bolan-led T. Rex. Gavin Friday merely covered it in '96. This makes a lot of sense, since Gavin Friday (along with Bono) covered "Children of the Revolution" for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack and is obviously a big fan of the '70s rock god. The version of "Shag Tobacco" I listened to was a demo tape, so I've never seen the booklet where the appropriate credit was presumably given.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that info. A few of my readers were asking me what the song was so I've pointed them to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Umm I don't know who the hell Gavin Friday is. But the song "The Slider" in the Coke commercial is Marc Bolan singing. The band was called T.Rex, and he died in 1977.

Anonymous said...

Mateo is right, Gavin did a cover of the song used in the Coke ad, it's not a cover of his work. Sounds like the original T. Rex version to me!

Anonymous said...

This is the original song from 1972, you idiot.

Anonymous said...

It is indeed the ORIGINAL "The Slider" title track from the 1972 T.Rex album.

BOLAN likes to ROCK now, yes he does...........