Wednesday, April 04, 2007

3-D

I'm enthused about 3-D movies and have seen quite a few in the last few years because I live within 40 minutes of both an IMAX theater and a digital theater. Probably the best one I saw was "Monster House," which was crystal clear and did not distract from the movie at all. "The Polar Express" was in IMAX 3-D and although it suited the movie very well I found it very blurry in parts. Maybe it was because it was the type of IMAX screen that is curved like a planetarium. I also found the 3-D portions of "Superman Returns" to be a little too blurry and distracting for my taste. It was also in IMAX but in on a flat screen. "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was the last movie I saw in 3-D and it was beautifully clear and really fitting for the film. It was preceded by the old Pixar short "Knick Knack" in 3-D. But during his Q&A at WonderCon, Brad Bird said Pixar is not currently planning on releasing its past or future films in 3-D. I'm looking forward to seeing the just-released "Meet the Robinsons" and, of course, the upcoming U2 concert film:

Sit well back: this is a 3-D invasion

As if the newly knighted Bono were not already larger than life, the U2 singer is poised to become the first rock star to leap out of the silver screen as Hollywood prepares to unleash a flood of 3-D movies.

No comments: